Law Practice Counsel
Law firms and lawyers operate in a heavily regulated environment. These regulations touch everything from advertisements law firms use to the agreements law firms enter with their employees to how they terminate dangerous or delinquent-paying clients.
Downey Law Group regularly assists law firms in understanding and complying with their legal obligations. Drawing upon more than a decade of related experience, including serving as in-firm ethics counsel at two law firms, we regularly offer the following services:
- Establishing and drafting the formation and governance documents for law firms, including law firm partnership and operating agreements;
- Preparing and improving client engagement agreements;
- Designing and implementing law process improvements and alternative fee arrangements;
- Guiding and teaching lawyers – from sole practitioners to lawyers at the largest global firms – about the legal industry regulatory framework and how to practice ethically and effectively; and
- Documenting the employment and discharge of law firm employees.
We understand that practicing lawyers are busy maintaining mastery of their substantive practices and caring for their clients. We focus our attention and resources on ensuring our lawyer and law firm clients have the information, resources, and counsel needed to practice ethically and effectively.
Prior engagements on issues relating to law practice counsel include:
- Revising partnership agreements including for an AmLaw 200 firm to reflect new governance and compensation systems;
- Drafting engagement agreements and non-engagement letters for a large Intellectual Property boutique, and providing on-going counsel on conflicts of interest and client engagement for the firm;
- Reviewing advertisements for a plaintiffs’ class action and family law firms;
- Advising a personal injury law firm on issues relating to residual funds left in a client trust account from more than a decade of operation; and
- Guiding a law firm through termination of a client relationship when a client had made misstatements to a tribunal
Downey Law Group takes considerable pride in the fact that many firms who turn to founding member Michael Downey for law practice counsel have maintained the relationship for years and consider Mr. Downey a trusted business advisor and legal counsel for their firms.
You lawyers are busy taking care of your clients – let us take care of you.