Raphael “Rafi” Nemes assists Downey Law Group on a range of legal matters. Rafi’s varied legal experience includes:
- Defending law firms and attorneys in connection with legal negligence lawsuits and attorney discipline cases.
- Representing public utility companies in disputes regarding property damage and personal injuries.
- Representing a non-profit corporation in a trust dispute.
- Assisting in a qui tam action involving the anti-kickback statute.
- Defending a Fortune 1000 corporation against allegations of patent and trademark infringement.
- Obtaining security clearances for clients on appeal to the ATF and Defense Office of Hearing and Appeals.
- Representing an executive in an action against board members for violations of fiduciary duties.
- Providing assistance to a corporation regarding a competitor’s defamatory advertisements.
- First-chairing a bench trial involving an insurance coverage dispute.
- Drafting corporate confidentiality agreements, television production agreements, and film and television appearance releases.
Rafi’s path to law school began as a teenager, when he was elected Chief Justice of his high school’s student court. He was further inspired to become a lawyer through his volunteer work in college with the Victim Services Unit in the St. Louis Circuit Attorney’s Office. He also had a life-changing experience in Cap Haïtien, Haiti, where he volunteered for a week with a medical organization and saw first-hand how many of the country’s public health issues were the result of a failed legal system.
After receiving a degree in Government from Harvard University, Rafi attended Washington University School of Law in St. Louis, where he served as Senior Editor to the Washington University Law Review. Rafi graduated magna cum laude and was elected to the Order of the Coif. He was admitted to practice law in Missouri in 2011.
Following his graduation from law school, Rafi worked for two years as a litigation associate at an AmLaw 200 law firm, where he handled a diverse group of matters, ranging from traffic violations and small claims to multi-million dollar lawsuits. His litigation experience provides him with valuable tools in representing clients who need to defend themselves from lawsuits, as well as those who are considering bringing legal action and those who wish to avoid it.
Before joining Downey Law Group, Rafi worked in-house at a technology company whose internet-based platform assists job candidates and employers in finding the right fit. In addition to his corporate legal experience, Rafi has also worked in the public and non-profit sectors. During law school, he interned in the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Missouri, as well as the Washington University Criminal Justice Clinic at the St. Louis County Public Defender’s Office. Prior to law school, he worked as a paralegal for the PBS science documentary series “NOVA.”
Outside of his law practice, Rafi is a songwriter. He studies musical theater composition through the Academy of New Musical Theater, and is currently working on writing his first musical. He is also a commercial voice-over artist, and recently narrated a five-part audiobook series on legal subjects, which is available on iTunes and Audible. A link to the audiobooks can be found on his personal website, www.rafisound.com.